If you use medicine for the first time or you haven’t used it for 12 months or more, you have to pay more for it than for medicine you use on a regular basis. This has been decided by the government to make the use of medicine safer. There is a special payment for this and you can find it on the bill. It is called “eerste uitgifte” .
Verfication by the pharmacist
Before the pharmacist will give you these medicines, he needs to verify the following:
- Which other medicine you use.Is the medicine suitable to be used with other medicine you take
- Is the medicine suitable for you, e.g. are you not allergic to one of more ingredients in the medicine
- If necessary, he will contact the doctor who prescribed the medicine to you.
Service delivered by the pharmacist
The pharmacist will also deliver the following service:
- Explain the way the medicine works and possible side effects to you
- Written explanation of how to use the medicine -usually the information leaflet (bijsluiter)
This procedure ensures that you can use your medicine safely and reliably.