Biking is very popular in the Netherlands, but unfortunately bikes are often stolen. If you are a victim of bike theft, it is important to inform the police. You will need that police report for your insurance. Without that report, you will certainly not get your bike back.
Luckily, you can do a lot of things yourself to prevent your bike from being stolen :
- Use bike parking facilities, if possible. Otherwise, park your bike in a place which is busy .
- If there is no bicycle rack, use any solid object attached to the ground, such as a pole.
- If you are at home, it is important to lock the garage where you parked your bike and even lock your bike when it is in the garage.
- Let somebody engrave your bike with a unique code. This makes it much easier to check if a second-hand bike has been stolen, and it discourages thieves. Many municipalities do this for free.Currently both The Hague and Amsterdam offer possibilities to let your bike engrave. The dates and locations for The Hague can be found on http://www.denhaag.nl/home/bewoners/stadsdelen-en-wijken/Scheveningen/to/Laat-uw-fiets-gratis-graveren-1.htm (Dutch only). In Amsterdam it is every Wednesday and Saturday possible to let your bike engrave . You can find the locations on https://www.amsterdam.nl/parkeren-verkeer/fiets/fietsdepot/data-fiets-graveren/ (Dutch only)
- Install a theft prevention chip. This enables the police to trace your bike if it is stolen.
- Always use a 2nd lock and lock it high to make it more difficult to open.
- Use good quality locks.
- Lock the rear wheel or the frame, not the front wheel, because the front wheel can easily be removed.
- Don’t leave any valuable things in or on your bike (e.g. money, passport).
- Fill in a bike registration card (fietsregistratiekaart) when you buy a bike. You can also download this card on https://static.politie.nl/binaries/content/assets/politie/documenten-algemeen/onderwerpteksten/folders-en-downloads/fietsregistratie.pdf .
Special tips for e-bikes
If you have an e-bike, the following actions are also important:
- Remove the display, if possible. Without a display, your bike cannot be used as e-bike any more.
- Lock the battery of your e- bike. In case this is not possible, remove the battery when you stop biking.
All these actions will make it more difficult for bike thieves to steal your bike.